2 packages fresh Spinach
1 package fresh Mushrooms
1 large onion
5 egg whites
1 tsp pepper
8oz. HEALTHY CHOICE FAT FREE grated cheddar cheese
8oz. HEALTHY CHOICE FAT FREE grated mozzarella
1 box Phyllo Dough see below
1. Remove stems from spinach and wash.
2. Cut onions and saute in water until tender.
3. Wash and slice mushrooms and add to the onions (cook until all water evaporates).
4. Remove onions & mushrooms from heat a put in a large bowl.
5. Sauté spinach in water tossing frequently until all liquid evaporates.
6. Mix onions/mushrooms & spinach together in bowl & make sure onions and mushrooms are evenly distributed throughout the spinach.
7. Beat egg whites lightly.
8. Add grated cheese to egg mixture and mix thoroughly.
9. Add spinach mixture to egg and cheese mixture and stir until mixed well.
CRUST: Phyllo pastry dough is that thin very flaky crust used in many Greek spinach pies and pastries such as baklava. It has only a trace of fat and I have now seen lemon meringue pie & pumpkin pie recipes that are using phyllo dough for the crust to cut the fat content in the pies 50% fat to 8% Phyllo can be found in the frozen food section of any supermarket. The box is long, like a spaghetti box. The dough is paper thin and you use many layers. I use a rectangular glass baking dish, sprayed lightly with PAM.
Directions for Phyllo Crust
1. Quickly layer 5-7 sheets on the bottom of the dish spraying each layer lightly with Pam.
2. Then put half of your spinach mixture on top.
3. Put another 5-7 sheets of Phyllo.
4. Then the last of your spinach mixture.
5. Top with 10 to 15 sheets of phyllo, sprayed lightly with Pam between each layer.
6. Remove any excess dough around the edges.
7. Moisten your fingertips and seal around the edges like a normal pie crust.
8. Spray top lightly with Pam.
9. Using a sharp knife cut through the top layer in the pattern you want. (ie: I cut rectangular patter that is the size of the pieces I will ultimately cut.) In the Greek desert, Baklava they cut diamond shapes.
10. Bake in 400-425 degree oven for 30 minutes.
WARNING: Phyllo dough is very thin so it is a little hard to work with because it dries out in about 2 seconds and sticks together. There are hints on the box on how to keep it moist.
Use HEALTHY CHOICE FAT FREE grated cheeses.Their cheese is real cheese made with skim milk, it tastes and melts the same (at least in this recipe) as high fat cheeses which is not true for other brand name Fat Free Cheeses).